7.06.2009

ADK

I've decided that when I grow up I want to canoe and hike by day and make fires and tell the stories of my daytime adventures by night. I want to wake up to the sound of loons and set my head down to the hoot of an owl. I love pines, I love lakes, and I love how the Adirondacks have taken on the feeling of home to me--the sights, the smells, the people. 
When it's cold you add more layers. When it's really cold, you build a fire. When the sun peaks out from its sojourn from the clouds, you roll up your sleeves and kick off your shoes. And when the sun stays to shine, you shed all articles of clothing, dip your toes in the lake and then jump in, usually head first. The days are full of good laughs, cold beer, exploring in the "backyard," and hopefully a canoe ride or two and a hike. And if it's a really fine day, it usually ends with s'mores. 
Most people retire to the South.  For me, I'd rather retire to the mountains.

























No comments: