5.20.2009

i shouldn't have opened my e-mail today.

Let me begin with the Story of the Day:
Songs to Herself



She waved at all the people on the trains & later, when she saw they didn't wave back, she started singing songs to herself & it went that way the whole day & she couldn't remember having a better time in her life.


I haven't been able to stop searching for newness. New careers, new designs, new ideas, new, unknown-to-me stuff and now I can't stop. It's an innate trait of mine: I'm a seeker of all that I've yet to experience, which makes me a a mindrunner--for lack of a better term. And gosh does it come naturally, as any innate trait would. One eggplant colored pair of shoes (pictured above and found at maraisusa.com) tugged at my mind's figurative sleeve and lead me toward finding fashion marketing degrees online. I found one, and from there I began rerouting my life and wondering in exactly how many years I'll be writing for Urban Outfitters, J. Jill or some other clothing catalog, with my new fashion degree, the touchstone of my career change. If you've lost me, yes, I'm hypothetically speaking about the new degree that I have yet to start or even apply for. (Just an FYI, I did in fact request information and it should be arriving in 2-3 weeks. Wonder what I'll be looking into then?)



<-----That's Parsons The New School for Design. I want to go to there. They even have an online degree. I think online degrees are bogus, but I bet the content I'd read would be enough to fascinate me. Maybe there would even be some opportunities to go down for a few classes on the campus...hmm. Although, I'll say the conjured up mental images of my life in NYC are quite enticing. And then I found this site http://theinspirationroom.com/ (I think Jeremy at Shape+Colour mentioned it), which lit a match under my mind and sent it running. A rampage ensued, a quiet one physically, but inside my head, something entirely different was going on. A Happy Mind=Stimulated Mind. I'm finding this is a necessity for my existence; however, I'm starting to believe it may very well be the same thing that kills me...





Next I found two things that suddenly fueled a craving for French Press coffee made on a camping stove atop a slivered, black, weathered picnic table with dirt living in it's groves and pine needles sprinkled on top. The contraption pictured at left is GSI's Outdoors 1 Cup Stainless Mini Espresso maker (want it? snag it at campmor.com). That's a bit too much for me, but neat nonetheless. I'd even settle for a percolator. The taste may be awful, but I'm thinking in the context of the great outdoors, it would hit the right spot.



^This, nicknamed by mountaineers for its longstanding status of respectability as "O.G., or the original gangster," would be by abode of choice for said camping trip. Please, do me a favor and don't ever tell me if you ever pegged me as the pop-up trailer type, because that shits not cool. Why do I like this one? Well, for one, it's a simple dome tent, therefore it's a classic and I like classic. And two, umm hello, it picked up the moniker "original gangster," enough said.
<--Is it, or is it not, a bread dipping lover's dream come true? I likes me some olive oil, but I don't likes me squishy bread. It looks hand friendly, too. I want that dish to come live in my cupboard. Please? I promise to handle thee often and wash thee with care. You would never, ever see the inside of a dishwasher. Scout's honor.
^This is a look I could do...because it's already my kind of style. Unabashed, do-it-'cause-it feels-right layering of gold and bright colors, mixed with natural leather accents. Classic, feminine, soft but confident, mmm, it's visually yummy.
^This is where I'll live, after the pair of eggplant shoes are strapped upon my feet, I've obtained my new degree from The New School, have gone camping and made French Press coffee, consumed olive oil in just the right amount on some fresh bread that's crusty on the outside and chewy at the center, and picked up some more gold accessories for my springtime wardrobe: Vauban, Germany. It's a new suburban community where cars are forbidden, yes, FORBIDDEN, on most of the streets, and houses can't have driveways or garages. Plus it's near the Swiss border...purdy. Shops have been strategically placed to be located in walking distance, making it easy to walk to the closest grocery store when you run out of milk in a jiffy. Other places are beginning to adopt some of Vauban's principles, like disallowing new shopping centers that aren't accessible to public transportation and limiting the amount of parking spaces in new developments. An iLike for realsies.

Can you believe all of this came from one e-mail? Okay maybe two. What route did your life take today? I'll send you a postcard from Germany ;)

No comments: